Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Post #5 Stage Door

The first video clip I watched was Godspell on Broadway, I really loved how the stage was set up where its in a circular shape and the audience it all around them.  One creative aspect that I noticed when watching this is how they used the 'Baroque style' of controlling the natural elements, in this situation it was water coming down from the ceiling into a little open board on the actual stage. Another amazing thing I noticed in this same video was how many secret doors they have on stage that open up, one which opened in atleast 7 places where miniature trampolines were used by the past to jump up and down on. They utalized each others trampolines by jumping back and forth which was awesome and extremely creative.

The second video clip I watched was Oliver! which I thought had amazing background scenes for an onstage play.  I really liked how they incorporated the tables the children would eat on with the night life scenes that they had, making multiple uses out of scenery and props is really good.  It was outstanding how they made the sewer hole into something that led to a secret place under the main part of the stage which totally transformed the scene into something different.  Another little, but really cool thing that I noticed was the use of invisable line.  When one man dropped his hankercheif and the child went to pick it up it magically flew right back up into his hand, sometimes the little thigs are the things that make you say WOW! I believe that the scenery used in Oliver! was definitely something that used technology to create, when looking at the scene were they're on the rooftop, the chimneys look so real, and the 3D dimentions of the backdrop are outrageous, it looks like it's actually real!

The third video clip I watched was one of my childhood favorites, The Adams Family. One of the great things that everyone knew about if they watched The Adams Family was Thing, the hand without a body.  It was amazing how they used technology to make a character that was just a hand, and made it walk around and do all these crazy things. A great use of techology on the broardway clip I watched was the moving steel gates, which most likely weren't steel but they looked so real you wouldn't think twice.  Also the fog that they used on stage to give it the errie feel of The Adams Family. I believe that the use of techology in this broadway play in particular was important because without Thing the hand, and the fog... The Adams Family woulnd't be possible on broadway.

No comments:

Post a Comment